Ah, summer. Time for beaches, sleeping in… and writing your college admission essays.
Sure, it’s not the most fun part of your summer, but it is important. And, most guidance counselors recommend getting this part of your college application out of the way as soon as possible.
Thankfully there are all sorts of online tools out there that can take a lot of the stress out of the writing process. Then, you can get back to enjoying your summerHow Google Can Help You Plan the Perfect Summer VacationHow Google Can Help You Plan the Perfect Summer VacationVacations are complicated to plan. Airplane tickets, hotel bookings, tour schedules and budgets can get overwhelming. These Google tools, tips, and tricks make it easier to plan your next trip.Read More as quickly as possible!
We’re not talking about the online services that will “help” you by writing your paper for you. That’s not cool. And it’s also not what colleges want. Colleges want to hear your authentic voice so that they can make an informed decision about how you would fit into their environment as a student!
Here are some recommended online tools to help you beat procrastination, organize your thoughts, double-check your grammar, and hit all the right points for your essay.
Understanding the College Essay
You spent all of high school learning how to write an academic essay, but colleges want something completely different for your admission essays. Thankfully, there are a wealth of online resources out there that can help guide you towards the kind of essay that colleges are looking for.
1. Khan Academy’s College Admissions Course
Applying to college is not an easy process to understand! Chances are that you have never applied to college before, so it’s difficult to know which steps to do and when to do them. Thankfully, Khan Academy has a video3 Best Websites To Get A University Level Education For Free3 Best Websites To Get A University Level Education For FreeThe idea that you are never done learning has never been more true than today. The Internet has revolutionized the way we access information and knowledge - formerly a luxury accessible only to the rich...Read More for literally everything. This free course outlines every step of the admissions process, including a video that’s specifically about college essays.
2. College Preparedness Sites and Blogs
There are several great sites online dedicated to helping prospective college students tackle the admissions process. You may prefer these sites to video courses when searching for specific or time-sensitive information. Two great options we found are:
Both sites have fantastic essay writing resources, as well as checklists for your overall application process! College Confidential‘s admissions columnist Dave Barry also writes numerous fantastic articles about admissions in his column “Admit This!”
3. Prospective Schools’ Websites
We can’t emphasize enough how important it is to go directly to the source for many of your questions. While many schools now accept applications through the Common Application, others have their own specific rules. Before finalizing any essay, be sure to check it against the list of requirements put out by each school.
Try searching “admissions essay” on the school’s website (or “[Name of College] + Admissions Essay” on Google) to find this information for each of the schools you are consideringSearching for College Admissions? Do an Anxiety Free Search This FallSearching for College Admissions? Do an Anxiety Free Search This FallChoosing which school you want to attend and sorting through degree options are some of the most stressful parts of college applications – but they don't have to be. The right tools make it easier.Read More.
Okay, you know what a college admissions essay is. Now you just have to write it. Easier said than done, right? Procrastination is really difficult to overcome — especially when you would rather be relaxing by a pool! Thankfully, there are a lot of tools out there that can help you stop procrastinating5 New Productivity Apps to Stop Procrastinating and Get Back to Work5 New Productivity Apps to Stop Procrastinating and Get Back to WorkThe trick to staying productive is to always keep changing your system. From Microsoft to small developers who started with an Excel sheet, here are some productivity apps worth trying out.Read More.
4. SMART Goal Setting
Procrastination is easiest when you don’t have a plan in place. Setting a specific goal5 Critical Mistakes To Avoid When Setting Goals5 Critical Mistakes To Avoid When Setting GoalsGoal setting is a great way to cut down on procrastination and boost productivity. If you don’t have goals, you don’t have direction. Without direction, it’s easy for you to feel lost and confused. Fortunately,...Read More helps keep you on track to get your essay written and perfected in plenty of time. Ignore the fact that this web tool is for veterinary professionals — the concepts apply to students as well!
SMART goals are ideal because they ensure that your goal is specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and time-limited. Once you write out your essay-related goals and create an outline of potential self-imposed deadlines, you will find it much easier to take the process step by step!
5. Self-Control App (Mac) or Cold Turkey (Windows)
It’s so easy to sit down at your computer with the best of intentions, only to realize four hours later that you haven’t written a single word. You have, however, completely caught up on every social media page, news site, weather forecast, and addictive browser game out there.
There’s no denying that self-control can take a lot of energy, but thankfully you can outsource it to an app. Both Self-Control and Cold Turkey allow you to completely block yourself from
6. Forest (iOS, Android)
Okay, it’s great that you can’t access any distractions using your computer… but your phone is sitting right next to you. Don’t worry, there are apps to help prevent procrastination on your phone too. Forest is one of our favorites because it is adorable, non-aggressive, and surprisingly addictive. To use the app, you plant a virtual tree — as long as you don’t check your phone, the tree grows. But, if you check it before time is up the tree will die.
You will be amazed by how quickly you become invested in growing your tiny virtual forest! And, best of all, for each tree you grow a donation is made that helps to fund the planting of real trees!
You know what you’re going to write, and you have every conceivable distraction blocked… now it’s time to get down to business. Instead of immediately trying to write a full-fledged essay, it might be a better idea to start out with some brainstorming. Getting all your ideas down can be a risk-free and stress-free way to start the writing process.
7. Read Past Success Stories
One of the best ways to get a feel for college applications is to read lots of past essays. But you want to be sure that you read ones that were successful!
John Hopkins University’s admissions website showcases several successful essays each year (dating back to the class of 2017). AP Study Notes also has a collection of 150 essays for you to peruse.
8. Make a Mind Map
Once you start thinking about an essay prompt your mind may start to travel in eighty directions at once. Harness that energy by using a brainstorming tool like mind mapping, where you write out every idea you have and link them to each other. Then, you have a visual representation of your thought process to look back on when it is time to start writing.
There are many free online mind mapping tools online, but we recommend sites like MindMup, Mind42, or Storm Board to start.
Putting Pen to Paper (or Fingers to Keys)
Feel like you’re ready to start writing? Awesome. These tools will help you get your ideas written out before you know it.
9. Story2 StoryScape
While you do need to pay for some Story2 features, the free ones are incredibly helpful. The StoryScape tool, for example, challenges you to write for just five minutes about one of the Common Application prompts.
The “Colleges” tool is also super helpful, because it collects the essay prompts for each potential college in a single location.
10. Write or Die
Do you often spend time agonizing over each word you writeMay The Muse Win: How To Break The Destructive Habit Of Editing While WritingMay The Muse Win: How To Break The Destructive Habit Of Editing While WritingStruggling to write? Your muse is not playing hard to get. She's only trying to avoid coming face to face with that editor who lives inside your brain.Read More? While this can sometimes be helpful, other times it can prevent you from getting anything done! Write Or Die is a program that forces you to keep up a pace with your writing — or else it starts to erase what you have already written!
If that feels a bit too high-stakes for you, you may like Written?Kitten! instead, which rewards you with an adorable kitten image every time you write a certain number of words.
Refining Your Writing
Once you have your drafts written, it’s time to edit and revise your essays within an inch of their lives. This part of the process can be frustrating and nit-picky, but these tools and resources help to take some of the angst away.
A great option for revising your work, StoryToolz offers several distinct web-based tools to give you feedback on your writing. Try the “Cliché Buster” and the “Readability” tools first! Simply copy and paste your admissions essay into the tool and press submit.
Some of the feedback may not apply (no automated tool is perfect) but you may be surprised by the changes it suggests!
Having trouble thinking of another word for “great”? Don’t just turn to any random online thesaurus or dictionary! WordNik offers you in-depth definitions as well as accurate synonyms and many examples of how you can use the word in a sentence.
13. Check for Plagiarism
Plagiarism is a serious concern in higher education. Even if you wrote your essay from scratch, it’s always a good idea to ensure it isn’t too similar to another person’s work. If you have access to Turn It In through your school, that program is one of the gold standards for plagiarism checking.
Thankfully, for those of us without Turn It In access, there are also free services like Plagiarism Checker and PlagTracker available.
14. Talk to Other Students
Sometimes it’s helpful to hear from other students going through the same experiences as you. Community forums like Reddit offer a chance for students to share ideas, experiences, and tips. /r/ApplyingToCollege offers general support while /r/CollegeEssayReview connects students with users willing to review college essays (just be sure to check the subreddit guidelines to understand the process before posting).
You can always search for specific subreddits dedicated to each school (your mileage may vary). If you aren’t a Reddit user, there are some very active forums at College Confidential that might be more your style.
Now You’re Set!
Whew! There’s no denying that college applications are a lot of work. And the college admissions essay is often the most stressful part of the process for most people. Hopefully these online tools and resources will help you to finish your admissions essays quickly and easily.
Then, it’s time to get back to enjoying your summer. After all, before you know it, it’ll be time to start studying again10 Online Study Hacks for Every College Student10 Online Study Hacks for Every College StudentFrom sites dedicated to helping you with grammar, to free videos explaining any subject, these ten websites and study tools can completely redefine how you study.Read More.
Good luck with your applications! Have you used any other online resources I didn’t mention? Let me know in the comments below!
Image Credit: theskaman306 via Shutterstock.com
Did You Know Amazon Owns These Famous Websites?Listen Music: Listen To Free Music Online Without Downloading
Free Educational Technology for Teachers
Do you support Free Technology for Teachers? If Yes, I highly encourage you to share this Free Educational Technology Resource with fellow teachers interested in implementing Free Technology in Classroom.
I am a great supporter of Free Educational Technology. This is why I created a list of 321 Free Tools for Teachers separated in the following 18 categories:
- 19 Free Tools To Create Infographics For Teachers
- 19 Free Text To Speech Tools For Teachers
- 21 Free Digital Storytelling Tools For Teachers
- 15 Free Podcast Tools For Teachers
- 27 Free Survey, Polls, and Quizzes Tools For Teachers
- 17 Free Screen Capturing Tools For Teachers
- 30 Free Social Bookmarking Tools For Teachers
- 14 Online Bibliography and Citation Tools For Teachers
- 13 Free Sticky Notes Tools For Teachers
- 30 Free Photo and Image Editing Tools For Teachers
- 17 Free Testing and Quizzing Tool For Teachers
- 15 Free Web Conferencing Tools For Teachers
- 15 Free Authoring Tools For Teachers
- 5 Free Annotation Tools For Teachers
- 8 Free Video Tools For Teachers
- 6 Free PDF Tools For Teachers
- 34 Sites To Download Royalty Free and Creative Commons Music For Teachers
- 17 Free Stock Photos Sites For Teachers
19 Free Tools To Create Infographics For Teachers
- amCharts Visual Editor This editor allows you to use amCharts as a web service. This means that all you need to do is to configure the chart and paste the generated HTML code to your HTML page.
- ChartsBinCreate your own interactive map. It's free for now.
- DipityCreate an interactive, visually engaging timeline in minutes. Use dynamic visualization tools to display photos, videos, news and blogs in chronological order.
- Easel.lyCreate and share visual ideas online. Vhemes are visual themes. Drag and drop a vheme onto your canvas for easy creation of your visual idea!
- GapminderGapminder is used in classrooms around the world to build a fact-based world view.
- GliffyGliffy.com is a free web-based diagram editor. Create and share flowcharts, network diagrams, floor plans, user interface designs and other drawings online.
- Google Chart ToolsProvides several tools for making data more comprehensible. Special URLs can be used to embed graph and chart images in users' own web.
- Hohli Charts Online Charts Builder
- infogr.am Create infographics and interactive online charts. It's free and super-easy! Follow other users and discover amazing data stories!
- Inkscape An Open Source vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, CorelDraw, or Xara X, using the W3C standard Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) file format.
- Lucidchart With Lucidchart you can create flowcharts, org charts, mind maps, concept maps and many types of helpful visual communication. Lucidchart is completely free for students and teachers (no strings attached).
- PiktochartPiktochart- Make Information Beautiful. Create infographics. Engaging presentation app.
- PixlrWelcome to the most popular online photo editor in the world!
- Stat PlanetStatPlanet (formerly StatPlanet Map Maker) is free, award-winning software for creating interactive maps which are fully customizable. In addition to maps, the software also has the option of including interactive graphs and charts to create feature-rich infographics.
- Tableau PublicTableau Public is a free tool that brings data to life. Easy to use. Spectacularly powerful. Data In. Brilliance Out.
- VenngageVenngage is built for people who work with data. From analysts who want to communicate their data better, to the executives who want to understand insights faster and everyone else who uses data to make their decisions, Venngage has been made to make insights easier.
- visual.lyLike infographics and data visualization? Visual.ly is the world's largest community of infographics and data visualization. Come explore, share, and create.
- What About Me?Create an infographic of your digital life and become inspired by the people you know, the things you see, and the experiences you have online.
- WordleWordle is a toy for generating “word clouds” from text that you provide. The clouds give greater prominence to words that appear more frequently in the source text. You can tweak your clouds with different fonts, layouts, and color schemes.
19 Free Text To Speech Tools For Teachers
- AnnouncifyListen to your web. After Announcify conquered Android™ phones, it's now here to announcify your life at Google Chrome. Announcify reads out loud every website you want. For example, if you're too tired but still need to study one more Wikipedia entry, Announcify can help your tired eyes relax.
- BalabolkaBalabolka is a Text-To-Speech (TTS) program. All computer voices installed on your system are available to Balabolka. The on-screen text can be saved as a WAV, MP3, MP4, OGG or WMA file. The program can read the clipboard content, view the text from AZW, CHM, DjVu, DOC, EPUB, FB2, HTML, LIT, MOBI, ODT, PRC, PDF and RTF files, customize font and background color, control reading from the system tray or by the global hotkeys.
- Chrome SpeakChrome Speak (App Version), select the text and right-click to speak with offline tts engine, TTS (text to speech). Chrome speak provides native support for speech on Windows (using SAPI 5), Mac OS X, and Chrome OS, using speech synthesis capabilities provided by the operating system. On all platforms, the user can install extensions that register themselves as alternative speech engines.
- DSpeechDSpeech is a TTS (Text To Speech) program with functionality of ASR (Automatic Speech Recognition) integrated. It is able to read aloud the written text and choose the sentences to be pronounced based upon the vocal answers of the user. It is specifically designed to quickly and directly provide the functions and improved practical usefulness that are requested by this kind of program. In the meantime, the evasiveness and resource consumption is minimal.
- FoxVoxFoxVox will speak any text you highlight in a web page. FoxVox can also create audiobooks in mp3, ogg, and wav formats. You can now easily turn your blogs and articles into podcasts.
- Free Natural ReaderIt can convert any written text such as Microsoft Word, webpages, PDF files, and E-mails into spoken words.
- OdiogoOdiogo's media-shifting technology expands the reach of your content: It transforms news sites and blog posts into high fidelity, near human quality audio files ready to download and play anywhere, anytime, on any device.
- PediaPhonLearning during jogging and driving! E-learning and m-learning with MP3 players and mobile phones! A podcast and a winamp play list will be generated too. MP3 files, play lists and podcast automatically generated from Wikipedia! Let your computer read out the Wikipedia for you!
- PowerTalkPowerTalk is a free program that automatically speaks any presentation or slide show running in Microsoft PowerPoint for Windows. You just download and install PowerTalk and while you open and run the presentation as usual it speaks the text on your slides. The advantage over other generic 'Text To Speech' programs is that PowerTalk is able to speak text as it appears and can also speak hidden text attached to images.
- QR voiceQR Code allows users to converts text-to-speech, generates QR Code for speech URL and Simplifies share text-to-speech files.
- Select and SpeakSelect and Speak uses iSpeech's human sounding text to speech (TTS) to let you select text from almost any website and make it talk.
- SpeakingFoxConverts text to audible speech on Mac OS X.
- SpeakIt!Select text you want to read and listen to it. SpeakIt converts text into speech so you no longer need to read. SpeakIt reads selected text using Text-to-Speech technology with language auto-detection. It can read text in more than 50 languages.
- SpokenTextSpokenText lets you easily convert text into speech. Record (English, French, Spanish or German) PDF, Word, plain text, PowerPoint files, and web pages, and convert them to speech automatically. Download your recordings as .mp3 or .m4b (Audio Book) files (in English, French, Spanish and German) of any text content on your computer or mobile phone.
- Text to VoiceTTS gives Firefox the power of speech. Select text, click the button on the bottom right of Firefox window and this add-on speaks the selected text for you. Isn't it brilliant? Audio is downloadable.
- text2speechFree online text to speech converter. Just enter your text, select one of the voices and download the resulting mp3 file to your computer. This service is free and you are allowed to use the speech files for any purpose, including commercial uses.
- VokiVoki is a FREE service that lets you create customized avatars, add voice to your Voki avatars, post your Voki to any blog, website, or profile, and take advantage of Voki's learning resources.
- vozMeVozme is an online text to speech program that lets you type-in any English or Spanish text and then play it as an audio stream.
- WordTalkA free Windows text-to-speech plugin for Microsoft Word. It will speak the text of the document and will highlight it as it goes. It contains a talking dictionary and a text-to-mp3 converter.
21 Free Digital Storytelling Tools For Teachers
- AnimotoUnlimited Videos For Educators. Enhance your digital classroom with Animoto, an ideal tool for creating videos and presentations. It takes just minutes to create a video which can bring your lessons to life. Educators can apply for a free Animoto Plus account for use in the classroom. Its powerful features can be used to create stunning presentations incorporating images, video clips, music and text.
- BubblrBubblr is a tool to create comic strips using photos from flickr.com Begin searching images and add bubble to them.
- CapzlesAll of your media, your life, your stories together like never before. Create rich multimedia experiences with videos, photos, music, blogs and documents.
- CartoonistCartoonists is an online tool to create cartoons or personal digital stories, consisting of professional backgrounds, characters, props, images and text. With Cartoonist, you can create multimedia stories. You can use the tool to create comic strips or more personal digital narratives.
- Comic MasterComic Master allow you to create your own short graphic novel. With Comic Master you can decide how you want the page or your graphic novel to look, to add backgrounds, choose characters and props to appear in your scenes, to add dialogue and captions, and much more
- Domo animateImport your pictures, select a nice song to accompany the slideshow and you are done! Your pictures will be the hero of your own personalized Domo adventure. You can create your own Domo adventures in minutes with their easy-to-use animation studio.
- GeneratorGenerator is a creative studio space, a space where you can explore the moving image, be inspired, create your own moving image works and share your creations with the Generator community.Gain a deeper understanding of the context of these inspiring stories through their Education Themes section. Try the Storyboard Generator and either choose a script or build your own storyboard and share it with your friends.
- MakeBeliefsComixAt MakeBeliefsComix you can create your own comic strip with an easy and fun way. You have to choose a character and emotion. Then you have to add talk or thought balloons and start your character talking. You can add other characters and more conversation. Also, you can add colored backgrounds, objects and panel prompts to keep your viewers interested. Least but not last, you can continue to edit and make more changes, and when you are done you can print or email your comic!
- MapSkipThe purpose of MapSkip.com is to create a weave of stories about the places in our lives. Users are invited to create a free account and to mark up places in Google Maps with their own stories and photos. Users can browse each other's stories and can rate and discuss them. MapSkip is free to use and free of ads.
- PicLitsPicLits.com is a creative writing site that matches beautiful images with carefully selected keywords in order to inspire you. The object is to put the right words in the right place and the right order to capture the essence, story, and meaning of the picture.
- PixtonPixton empowers the world to communicate graphically with comics. Pixton introduces the world to Click-n-Drag Comics™, a revolutionary new patented technology that gives anyone the power to create amazing comics on the web. From fully posable characters to dynamic panels, props, and speech bubbles, every aspect of a comic can be controlled in an intuitive click-n-drag motion. Pixton is free for fun but has paid version for Schools and Businesses.
- SlidestoryCombine sharing pictures and narration and what do you get? Slidestory! Slidestory is a new, exciting and FREE way to make presentations and share them on the Internet.
- SmileboxSmilebox lets you quickly and easily create slideshows, invitations, greetings, collages, scrapbooks and photo albums right on your computer. To get started, download and install the Smilebox application. Then simply, select the photos you want to use, choose a template add comments and music and voila, you've made a Smilebox! With more than 1000 customizable templates to choose from, you'll find inspiration around every corner.
- Smories.comSmories are original stories for kids, read by kids. The idea behind Smories is to publishes stories for kids read by kids. Also, you will find a lot of stories in various subjects submitted by teachers and authors.
- StorybirdStorybird lets anyone make visual stories in seconds. They curate artwork from illustrators and animators around the world and inspire writers of any age to turn those images into fresh stories.
- Zimmer TwinsThe Zimmer Twins is a site devoted to kids and creative storytelling. Since 2005, the Zimmer Twins has invited children to create and share their own animated stories. It is free for Kids & Families to join, make and watch a movie and paid for Educators and Schools.
- ZooBurstZooBurst is a digital storytelling tool that lets anyone easily create his or her own 3D pop-up books. Using ZooBurst, storytellers of any age can create their own rich worlds in which their stories can come to life. ZooBurst books “live” online and can be experienced on your desktop or laptop computer, or on your iPad via the free ZooBurst mobile app. Authors can arrange characters and props within a 3D world that can be customized using uploaded artwork or items found in a built-in database of over 10,000 free images and materials. Basic accounts are 100% free and let you get started using ZooBurst right away.Free apps for digital storytelling
- Puppet PalsCreate your own unique shows with animation and audio in real time! Simply pick out your actors and backdrops, drag them on to the stage, and tap record. Your movements and audio will be recorded in real time for playback later.This app is as fun as your own creativity. Act out a story of Pirates on the high seas, fight as scary monsters, or play the part of a Wild West bandit on the loose. You can even combine any characters however you want!
- ShowMe Interactive WhiteboardTurn your iPad into your personal interactive whiteboard! ShowMe allows you to record voice-over whiteboard tutorials and share them online. It’s an amazingly simple app that anyone can use, no matter how young or old!
- Sock PuppetsSock Puppets lets you create your own lip-synched videos and share them on Facebook and YouTube. Add Puppets, props, scenery, and backgrounds and start creating. Hit the record button and the puppets automatically lip-synch to your voice.
- Toontastic: FREEToontastic is a storytelling and creative learning tool that enables kids to draw, animate, and share their own cartoons with friends and family around the world through simple and fun imaginative play! With over 2 million cartoons created in over 150 countries, parents and teachers rave about the app... and kids can't stop creating!
15 Free Podcast Tools For Teachers
- Ardour Ardour is a free, fully-featured digital audio workstation, similar to other software like ProTools, Nuendo, Sonar and Logic, and capable of replacing analog or digital tape systems. Available for Mac OS X, Linux.
- AudacityAudacity is free, open source, cross-platform software for recording and editing sounds. Audacity is available for Windows, Mac, GNU/Linux and other operating systems.
- BlogAmpBlogamp is a web-based audiocasting solution that combines a rich media on-demand experience with podcasting. Blogamp's robust administration utility and content manager allows site owners and bloggers the ability to customize the on demand presentation as well as utilize the many add-on features depending on who the target audience is.
- EasypodcastEasypodcast is a GUI tool for easy podcast publication. Easypodcast is multi-language (english and spanish) and cross-platform: tested on Windows and Linux (kde). This is possible thanks to wxPython.
- EvocaCreate and Share Digital Voice Recordings Using mobile, landline, Skype & smartphones, tablets and computers.
- HuffDufferCreate your own podcast. Find links to audio files on the Web. Huffduff the links—add them to your podcast. Subscribe to podcasts of other found sounds.
- MP3myMP3 RecorderSaves any audio you hear on your computer straight to mp3 or wav.
- OdiogoOdiogo's media-shifting technology expands the reach of your content: It transforms news sites and blog posts into high fidelity, near human quality audio files ready to download and play anywhere, anytime, on any device.
- PodbeanPodbean.com is an easy and powerful way to start podcasting. Easy to publish your podcast in 3 steps. No tech to learn. Powerful promoting tools, iTunes Preview, Statistics. Wonderful income chances with ads, paid subscriptions.
- PodOmaticRecord video and audio podcasts. Receive in-line calls from listeners.
- SoundCloudShare Your Sounds. Capture a voice, moment or music in seconds or upload audio you’ve already created. Everyone has sounds to share. Now you can share yours. Publish to social networks or embed your sounds on your site.
- StudioRackStudioRack is a modular live audio and video production system for the Windows O.S., intended for the more demanding podcaster, audio and video producers, DJ’s, radio stations, tv stations etc.
- TalkShoeCreate, schedule and run a live show. Integrate the recording on your website.
- VozMeConvert text to MP3.
- YAKiToMe!Uses the world’s best text to speech (TTS) software. Upload documents, cut and paste text or link to feeds. Text reader converts text to speech automatically.
27 Free Survey, Polls, and Quizzes Tools For Teachers
- addpollThe easiest way to create polls, surveys and html forms... on the web. Find out why we're the greatest online survey and poll software in the world with integrated form builder.
- AnswerGardenAnswerGarden is a new minimalistic feedback tool. Use it as a tool for online brainstorming or embed it on your website or blog as a poll or guestbook.
- Boo rooCreate online polls in minutes with our free polling tool. Use our comprehensive poll builder in order to create beautiful polling solutions in your browser, for free.
- DoculiciousEasily create embeddable web forms that generate PDF documents.
- FluidSurveysOnline Survey Software & Form Tools at their best! Create forms & questionnaires with the best online survey software. Get started in seconds!
- Forms on the FlyAmazing online forms made simple. Quickly create quizzes, tests, surveys, diagnostics & assessments for your website.
- formsiteOur Drag & Drop editor, combined with over 40 question types, enables you to easily create almost any type of form or survey. Once you begin collecting results, we provide the functionality to email, analyze, share, and download your data.
- FormspringFormspring is the place where you can share your perspective on anything. Members express their point of view and personality through engaging conversations and interact with friends, followers, and people they just find cool.
- FoSpaceThe ability to publish self-calculating order forms, online surveys, contact forms, employment applications, rental applications or any type of online form imaginable, without having to hire a programmer, has finally been realized.
- Freeonlinesurveys.comCreate your own Free Online Survey. Over 1 million users!
- GFXPOLL.comThe best website to create free graphical polls for your website, forum or even email.
- Google Forms (part of Google Drive)Collect RSVPs, run a survey, or quickly create a team roster with a simple online form. Then check out the results, neatly organized in a spreadsheet.
- Kwik SurveysKwik Surveys makes your job easy. Design surveys,forms, polls and feedback forms. It's free!
- MySurveyLabProfessional online surveys. Fastest online survey tool on the market. Beautiful yet simple color themes.
- Orbeon FormsOrbeon Forms is your solution to build and deploy web forms. It handles complex forms typical of the enterprise or government, implements the W3C XForms standard, and is available in a free open source Community Edition, as well as a commercially supported Professional Edition.
- PollDaddyThe most powerful and easy-to-use survey software around. Create stunning surveys, polls, and quizzes in minutes. Collect responses via your website, e-mail, iPad, Facebook, and Twitter. Generate and share easy-to-read reports.
- PollhostIn a hurry? Create a free poll as a guest at Pollcode.com ... No need to sign up, quick free and easy!
- ScattervoxScattervox is a new kind of poll! When you create a poll, you ask users to show how they feel about different people, places, or things by plotting them on a two-dimensional graph. It's like an interactive infographic!
- SISsurveyCreate free online surveys and polls using SiS Survey. With SiS Survey you can now create surveys and polls for your website, blog and social network profiles.
- SonarIf you need to feel the pulse of your community, or to get feedback on anything, SonarHQ is the easy and cost-effective way to get answers to your questions. The smarter, faster and easier way to create surveys.
- SurveyMonkeySurveyMonkey is the world's most popular online survey tool. It's easier than ever to send free surveys, polls, questionnaires, customer feedback and market research. Plus get access to survey questions and professional templates.
- Surveys EngineSurveys Engine is lightwheight online surveys server software. This tool enables you create various surveys and questionaires, from small and simple to large and complex. Surveys are hosted in our site so you and survey respondents don't need any software or server, just Internet browser.
- SurvsCreate online surveys with simplicity and elegance. Survs lets you create, distribute, and analyze online surveys and questionnaires with a friendly interface and powerful features. Survs gives you everything you need to gather feedback.
- Vizzual FormsVizzualforms is a web based service that will let you create forms and surveys, publish them online and see the results!
- Web Form FactoryWeb Form Factory is an open source web form generator which automatically generates the necessary backend code to tie your form to a database. By generating the backend code for you, WFF saves you time... time you could spend doing more interesting stuff.
- Web Online SurveysCreate questionnaires with point and click ease. This is an all in one service designed for people who are not computer experts and have the need to conduct surveys by themselves.
- WufooWufoo is a web application that helps anybody build amazing online forms. When you design a form with Wufoo, it automatically builds the database, backend and scripts needed to make collecting and understanding your data easy, fast and fun.
17 Free Screen Capturing Tools For Teachers
- Clip2NetThis free service allows you to upload desktop area image or files on the web really fast such as Desktop area capture and upload, Video capture and upload, Upload image from Clipboard, Upload text documents and much more.
- Faststone Capture A powerful, lightweight, yet full-featured screen capture tool that allows you to easily capture and annotate anything on the screen including windows, objects, menus, full screen, rectangular/freehand regions and even scrolling windows/web pages. It also allows you to record screen activities and sound into video files.
- Greenshot A free screenshot tool optimized for productivity. Greenshot is a light-weight screenshot software tool for Windows with key features such as quickly creating screenshots of a selected region, window or fullscreen; capturing of complete (scrolling) web pages from Internet Explorer, easily annotating, highlighting or obfuscating parts of the screenshot and much more.
- JingSimple and FREE, Jing is the perfect way to enhance your fast-paced online conversations. Create images and videos of what you see on your computer screen, then share them instantly!
- KingKong CaptureCapture onscreen images fast and easy. Quick capture of your desktop, selected areas and objects. Easy printing of screenshots. Automatic saving in various supported graphic file formats are some of the key features of KingKong Capture.
- kwout"kwout" is a way you quote a part of a web page as an image with an image map. To use this service, all you need is to add our bookmarklet to your favorite browser. Takes a screenshot, cut out an aread, and then embed it anywhere that you want.
- PrtScrScreen capture tool. Accessable through Ptr Scr, Ctrl+Prt Scr, or custom hotkey. Captures full screen, rectangle selection, freehand selection, or active window. Can capture mouse cursor. Supports multiple monitors. Much better than Microsoft's own Snipping Tool.
- RumshotRumshot is an application for Windows similar to SnapShooter (Mac OS X) developed by Andrew Powell. Screenshots are a great way to show your desktop setup to friends and colleagues. But why settle for thumbnail of your carefully constructed desktop? Get classy - use Rumshot to automatically generate a themed and stylish screenshot preview!
- ScreenDashCapture images from your computer screen with ease. If you can see it on-screen, you can capture it, including web-pages, PDF files, programs, etc.
- ScreenhunterAward-winning screen capture solution to capture your screen, print and edit. Also with auto-scroll web pages, auto-capture, webcam and video screen capture.
- ScreenpressoScreenpresso captures your screen (screenshots and HD videos) for your training documents, collaborative design work, IT bug reports, and more...
- Screenshot CaptorScreenshot Captor is a best-in-class tool for grabbing, manipulating, annotating, and sharing screenshots. It's different from other screenshot utilities in several notable ways such as optimized for taking lots of screenshots with minimal intervention; highly configurable to make it work the way you want it to but stays out of your way in the system tray, excellent multi-monitor support, full set of scanner acquisition tools and scanner image correction, and perfect capture of Windows 7 partial transparency effects.
- ScreenSnaprScreenSnapr's aim is to provide a simple and straight-forward approach to image capturing and sharing. Without any of the extra fluff, ScreenSnapr makes sharing images as easy as possible. Press the shortcut and go!
- SkitchAnnotate, edit and share your screenshots and images... fast. Download now, it's free! Get your point across with fewer words using annotation, shapes and sketches, so that your ideas become reality faster.
- TinyGrab:Social Screenshot sharing. Take a screenshot and share it with your clients or friends in less time than it took you to read this sentence! TinyGrab 2.0 makes simple screenshot sharing social. Taking the critically acclaimed original TinyGrab and building on it. TinyGrab 2.0 adds a tonne of new features and proves on the existing service.
- Websnaprwebsnapr lets you capture screenshots of (almost) any web page. Allow your visitors to instantly visualize any web page before clicking. Increase site traffic, click-through rate and site stickiness.
30 Free Social Bookmarking Tools For Teachers
- SymbalooeduOrganize and Share the best of the web with your students. Organize teaching resources all in one place. Encourage student to student communications. Promote innovation while maintaining simplicity in teaching.
- PearltreesA place to collect, organize and share everything you like on the web. Add everything you like and organize it naturally. Enrich your collections and collaborate on your favorite topics. Discover millions of pearls to your interests.
- 19 pencilsDiscover resources for your PreK-12 students from teachers around the world. Save thumbnails of web resources to a class page for easy student access.
- A1-WebmarksA1-Webmarks is a free service that combines the convenience of a personal webmark server with the power of social webmarking.
- All my favoritesShare your internet bookmarks. AllMyFavorites is free for personal use.
- BibSonomyBibSonomy is a system for sharing bookmarks and lists of literature. Why dont you try it yourself? Collect, organise, and share bookmarks and publications.
- BookmarkGSave and share interesting sites and articles
- BuddymarksBuddyMarks.com has been called "The online personal, group and social bookmarks manager."
- DeliciousDiscover, remember, and showcase your passions from around the web.
- Diigo Education EditionDiigo is a powerful online research tool and collaborative research platform that integrates several key technologies, including social bookmarking, web annotation, tagging, and group-based collaboration, to enable a whole new process of online knowledge management and participatory learning in the 21st century.
- EdshelfReviews & recommendations of tools for education. edshelf is a directory of websites, mobile apps, and desktop programs that are rated & reviewed by parents & educators, for parents & educators. We help you find the right educational tools for your specific needs.
- EvernoteRemember everything. Save your ideas, things you like, things you hear, and things you see. Evernote works with nearly every computer, phone and mobile device out there. Search by keyword, tag or even printed and handwritten text inside images.
- GivealinkShare your bookmarks with the community and help others navigate the Web. Use the GiveALink visualization tool to visualize and organize your bookmarks.Play the GiveALink games to create social links across the Web.
- Historioushistorious saves you time by helping you find webpages you saw before. Bookmark sites with a single click, then find them again by searching for any word in the content of the page!
- ikeepbookmarks.comiKeepBookmarks.com allows you to upload, and keep, your bookmarks on the web. You can access them at any time, from any computer... anywhere!
- Jog The WebJOG THE WEB is a web-based tool that allows anyone to create a synchronous guide to a series of web sites. Its step by step approach of taking viewers through web sites allowing the author to annotate and ask guiding questions for each page is unique.
- Learn FizzFind, organize and share the best free learning on the web.
- linkaGoGoThe free Online Favorites manager and Social Bookmarking application. Storing your Bookmarks (also known as Favorites, Anchors, Links or Hotlists) online. Your bookmarks are available on any computer with access to the Internet, protected by a password. So you can access them from everywhere, not only from home, but also from work, when you are visiting friends, when you are traveling etc.
- LivebinderCollect your resources. Organize them neatly and easily. Make an impression
- NetvibesEverything that matters to you, all in one dashboard. Netvibes is a personalized dashboard publishing platform for the Web and digital life aggregation.
- NetvouzNetvouz is a social bookmarking service that allows you to save your favorite links online and access them from any computer, wherever you are.
- PinboardSocial Bookmarking for Introverts. Pinboard is a fast, no-nonsense bookmarking site. No ads, no fluff.
- PinterestA content sharing service that allows members to "pin" images, videos and other objects to their pinboard.
- RedditUser-generated news links. Votes promote stories to the front page.
- Save ThisSave links to your favorite web pages from any site. Access your links from any computer or Web enabled wireless device. Organize your saved links into folders that you create. Share your saved links or folders with friends.
- SharetivityShare, Save and Search. Your social network enhances your search experience
- SmubSmub is the bookmarking, link-sharing & bookmark management tool for smartphones and any PC or Mac.
- StumbleuponStumbleUpon is the easiest way to find cool new websites, videos, photos and images from across the Web. We make the best recommendations just for you.
- TwoBrainsTwo Brains is an application that approaches the learning process in a different way. The application is built around goals, because in the end that's what you truly care about
- Vi.sualize.usBookmark the pictures you like around the web. Enjoy people's favorite images
14 Online Bibliography and Citation Tools For Teachers
- Bibme - FreeThe fully automatic bibliography maker that auto-fills. It's the easiest way to build a works cited page. And it's free. Search for a book, article, website, or film, or enter the information yourself. Add it to your bibliography and continue citing to build your works cited list. Download your bibliography in either the MLA, APA, Chicago or Turabian formats. It's that easy!
- Citation Machine - FreeCitation machine helps students and professional researchers to properly credit the information that they use. Its primary goal is to make it so easy for student researchers to cite their information sources
- Citefast - FreeCite your work at APA, MLA, and Chicago without leaving http://www.citefast.com/ in three easy steps. Your citations will be kept as long as you keep visiting the site. After four days of inactivity your citations will be deleted.
- Citelighter - FreeStore, organize, and share your education and research for free. Creating internet-research bibliographies can be infuriating to say the least, so Citelighter grabs all relevant info to create accurate citations for you. Anything we miss you can add yourself, and we'll save your additions for future users.
- Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy Citation Wizard - FreeOffer three Citation Styles: APA, CSE, formerly known as CBE, and MLA. All feature specific templates for citing online Journals, Web pages with and without authors, electronic Books and Databases.
- Oregon Public Education Citation Maker for MLA - FreeDo you need to cite your sources? You can use this tool to create a Works Cited list of research sources following the MLA and APA standard citation formats.
- Recipes4Success - FreeCreating a complete and correctly formatted citation is a challenge for many students, especially documenting sources such as art and music that aren't included in traditional citation formats. Create a citation formatted in either APA or MLA style. Students will still need to completely document the information, but the Citation Maker will format it for them.
- RefDot - Chrome Extension - FreeMaking citation easy. Cite and store books or journal references. Add books automatically from amazon book pages. Cite books, journals and sites with this handy little extension.
- Zotero - FreeZotero [zoh-TAIR-oh] is a free, easy-to-use tool to help you collect, organize, cite, and share your research sources. It lives right where you do your work—in the web browser itself. Whether you need to create footnotes, endnotes, in-text citations, or bibliographies, Zotero will do all the dirty work for you, leaving you free to focus on your writing. Create citations in Word and OpenOffice without ever leaving your word processor and add references to an email, a Google Doc, or some other editor simply by dragging one or more references out of Zotero.
- Easy Bib - MLA FreeFree Automatic Bibliography and Citation Maker. Save time by creating a Works Cited page instantly in MLA (Free), APA, or Chicago!
- EndNoteEndNote enables you to move seamlessly through your research process with flexible tools for searching, organizing and sharing your research, creating your bibliography and writing your paper. You'll save hours building and maintaining reference libraries and creating bibliographies. With unique features to maximize your time like automatically finding full text and updating records, EndNote lets you spend less time in the details.
- NoodleToolsA powerful, integrated platform for research & literacy. NoodleTools is your instructional partner for differentiated teaching of literacy skills, critical analysis, sound reasoning, and collaborative group research.
- ReferenceME - Android AppBetter essays, faster! Simply scan the barcode of a book using your mobile phone camera, and ReferenceME will create your bibliography and citations in moments. If there is no barcode you can find the book's ISBN or simply enter the details yourself, and turn them into references in any of the major styles used by universities and libraries. ReferenceME creates Bibliographies and Citations/Footnotes for Harvard, Chicago, Vancouver, MHRA, MLA, Oxford and APA.
- RefWorksRefWorks -- an online research management, writing and collaboration tool -- is designed to help researchers easily gather, manage, store and share all types of information, as well as generate citations and bibliographies.
13 Free Sticky Notes Tools For Teachers
- CorkboardRemember and share what's important to you. Collaborate with others on a single Corkboard. Post and access on your computer or on-the-go. Organize your postings into Corkboards. Share what you post on your Facebook wall and get notified of new comments on your postings.
- Hott NotesFree sticky notes reminders for your desktop. A simple, easy-to-use sticky notes software for Windows.
- LinoitSticky and Photo sharing for you. A free sticky and canvas service that requires nothing but a Web browser.
- ListingsOnline sticky notes. Take notes from your browser. Share and collaborate with others in real-time. Reach your notes from anywhere. Super fast, free and ridiculously easy.
- Notepad2A fast and light-weight Notepad-like text editor with syntax highlighting. This program can be run out of the box without installation, and does not touch your system's registry.
- PadletPadlet gives you a blank page (a wall) and you put anything you want on it, anywhere. Perhaps the easiest site for children to use. Pose questions, get their answers, and give them feedback - all on the same page.
- ScrumblrScrumblr is a web-based simulation of a physical agile sprint board that supports real-time collaboration.
- Simple Sticky NotesWhat is Simple Sticky Notes? It's a simple, easy-to-use, absolutely free, fast and efficient note taking software.
- SpaazeSpaaze (pronounced "space") offers it's users so called boards. Each board is an infinite space which resembles a virtual cork. On these boards, items can be put. Currently Spaaze offers 7 different items: Labels, Notes, Bookmarks, Images, Files, Videos and HTML. These items can be edited in place, moved via drag and drop and positioned freely on the board. Therefore it's possible to arrange a bunch of items any way you like, which makes it possible to use it for many different use cases.
- StickiesStickies is a PC utility. Just like a real sticky piece of paper: Once on screen, stickies will remain where placed until closed, even through reboots. Stickies appearance can be customised; fonts, colours and buttons may be changed, and styles saved. Stickies can be resized and store text or images. Stickies can snap to each other and to the sides of the screen to keep them neatly lined up. Stickies can be attached to a web site, document or folder so they only show when it's on screen, and much more...
- StickrWith Stickr you can create streams, subscribe to your friends’ feeds, form and join groups, follow people you like, leave private comments. Stickr feed can be embedded to your homepage or blog, your account can be associated with accounts on other social networking sites.
- StickyPadStickyPad is an invaluable, easy-to-use tool that lets you place sticky notes on your desktop. You can type notes to yourself, set meeting and appointment reminders, keep track of a to-do list, and anything else you would do with paper notes.
- StixyStixy helps users organize their world on flexible, shareable Web-based bulletin boards called Stixyboards. Unlike most personal productivity or project management software, Stixy doesn’t dictate how users should organize their information. Users can create tasks, appointments, files, photos, notes, and bookmarks on their Stixyboards, organized in whatever way makes sense to them.
30 Free Photo and Image Editing Tools For Teachers
- Aviary A better photo editing solution for web and mobile.
- Cacoo Cacoo is a user friendly online drawing tool that allows you to create a variety of diagrams such as site maps, wire frames, UML and network charts. Cacoo can be used free of charge.
- Chart ChooserWe've rebuilt our favorite tool for improving Excel and PowerPoint with HTML5 goodness. Use the filters above to find the right chart type for your needs. Then download as Excel or PowerPoint templates and insert your own data.
- ChartGizmoWith your free account from ChartGizmo you can now create charts for your website, blog and social network profiles.
- ChartToolCharts and graphs are a great tool because they communicate information visually. On Onlinecharttool.com you can design and share your own graphs online and for free.
- CoSketchCoSketch is a multi-user online whiteboard designed to give you the ability to quickly visualize and share your ideas as images.
- Creately100's of thoughtful features to make creately diagramming quick and natural, its a joy to use.
- Creative Docs.netCreative Docs .NET is a vector-based graphic design tool with support for rich text, ideal to quickly write short documents, manuals, posters, illustrations, schemas, plans, flow charts, and much more.
- diagram.lyDraw Diagrams Online, free. draw.io is an online diagramming application and github project. It features the full range of visual configuration you expect, as well as web application features such as a full range of export options, a large collection of icons, real-time collaboration and embedded widget sharing.
- DoppelMeWith DoppelMe you can create a cool graphical likeness of yourself, your friends, family or any group of people for use as an avatar in forums, instant messenger, blogs and almost anywhere else on the web. It's free and there are no Flash, ActiveX controls, downloads or toolbars needed - just your browser and a few mouse clicks. That's it!
- Flash PAINTThis is an online full paint application. Draw online with paint tool. Save on your disk your drawings and send your drawing to the public gallery.
- Flowchart.comFlowchart.com is an online multi-user, real-time collaboration flow charts service. It's Flowcharting made easy.
- Gickr.comInstantly create Animated GIF online, free, right now! Just upload pictures or grab them from your Flickr.
- GlogsterLooking for a new way to express yourself? Mash up music, photos, videos, & more to express what you care about. Your ideas, your emotions, your Glogster. Glogster costs 10 seconds to sign up. That’s it! Everything on Glogster is free & always will be.
- GoAnimateMake Amazing Animated Videos! Use our Video Maker to create videos for free.
- Google SketchUpIntuitive and fun to use. Re-imagine your living space. Model buildings for Google Earth. Use SketchUp for free.
- InkscapeAn Open Source vector graphics editor, with capabilities similar to Illustrator, CorelDraw, or Xara X, using the W3C standard Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) file format.
- Paint.NETSimple, intuitive, and innovative user interface. Every feature and user interface element was designed to be immediately intuitive and quickly learnable without assistance.
- PencilPencil is an animation/drawing software for Mac OS X, Windows, and Linux. It lets you create traditional hand-drawn animation (cartoon) using both bitmap and vector graphics. Pencil is free and open source.
- PhotoPeachOur idea is to help you tell better stories online using photos. With PhotoPeach you can create a rich slideshow in seconds to engage your friends or family. We also support background music, captions, and comments so you can elaborate on your story further.
- PicMarkrFree Watermark. Add Custom Watermark with PicMarkr! PicMarkr lets you to add custom watermark (image or text) to your images online and free.
- PixlrWelcome to the most popular online photo editor in the world...
- ReshadeHere you can resize images maintaining quality, edges and texture. This means Reshade reduces or eliminates most of the usual side-effects of photo enlargement.
- Rich Chart LiveCreate for free enjoyable and captivating Flash Charts from your web browser.
- Roxio PhotoShowMake Free Photo Slideshow. It's so easy that just about anyone can tell an engaging, one-of-a-kind PhotoShow story in just minutes!
- Slidestory Combine sharing pictures and narration and what do you get? Slidestory! Slidestory is a new, exciting and FREE way to make presentations and share them on the Internet.
- SplashupSplashup, formerly Fauxto, is a powerful editing tool and photo manager. With the features professionals use and novices want, it's easy to use, works in real-time and allows you to edit many images at once.
- SUMO PaintWeb's best image app, hands down! Our editor is full of unique features that let you unleash your creativity.
- ToondooWorld's fastest way to create cartoons!
- VokiVoki is a FREE service that lets you create customized avatars. Add voice to your Voki avatars. Post your Voki to any blog, website, or profile. Take advantage of Voki's learning resources.
17 Free Testing and Quizzing Tool For Teachers
- ClassMarkerClassMarker's secure, professional web-based testing service is an easy-to-use, customizable online test maker for business, training & educational assessment with tests and quizzes graded instantly - saving hours of paperwork!
- ClassToolsCreate free games, quizzes, activities and diagrams in seconds! Host them on your own blog, website or intranet! No signup, no passwords, no charge!
- Easy Test MakerEasyTestMaker is a free online test generator to help you create your tests. You can create multiple-choice, fill-in-the-blank, matching, short answer and true and false questions all on the same test. You can also insert instructions and divide your test into multiple sections.
- Hot Potatoes You can choose from the following six types of questions to create your interactive quiz: crossword, multiple-choice, short-answer, gap-fill, matching/ordering and jumbled-sentence.
- iQuiz MakeriQuiz Maker is an easy way for you to create custom quizzes for the iQuiz game for the iPod. iQuiz Maker works seamlessly so you can write, create, package your very own quizzes. Download the free application today to begin putting the world to the test.
- ProProfs Quiz SchoolCreate Online Tests & Quizzes Easily. Over 100,000 quizzes created. Over 1 million quiz takers.
- QuandaryQuandary is an application for creating Web-based Action Mazes. An Action Maze is a kind of interactive case-study; the user is presented with a situation, and a number of choices as to a course of action to deal with it.
- QuedocOur quiz software not only plays quizzes, interactive lessons and revision aids; it also helps you create your own learning content and work cooperatively with others in the process of authoring.
- Quiz RevolutionMake Free Facebook Quizzes and Free Online Quizzes. Interactive Multimedia Quizzes That Can Be Embedded On Any Site.
- YacapacaIf you are a teacher you can use 15,000 quizzes in every subject or you can create quizzes, surveys, tests, eportfolios and more.
- FunnelBrainFunnelBrain gives you and your friends a new way to learn. You can form study teams, play games, take quizzes, and show off your intellectual prowess. It's fun, it's free and you'll do better in class.
- JeopardyJeopardyLabs allows you to create a customized jeopardy template without PowerPoint. The games you make can be played online from anywhere in the world. Building your own jeopardy template is a piece of cake.
- EdgamesUse games to enhance your classroom teaching! On this site you will find more than just one or two games, we have categories of games for all types of classrooms.
- QuizSlidesThe easy way to create stylish, interactive online test!
- What2LearnThe fun and effective way to learn. Play some of our thousands of revision games and quizzes or make your own. Whether you are revising for examinations and tests such as GCSE and SATs, or simply looking for a powerful and engaging way to develop literacy and understanding, register today and start the learning fun.
15 Free Web Conferencing Tools For Teachers
- AnyMeetingAnyMeeting is free with ads. It allows for meetings of up to 200 people, and has essential functionality like screen sharing, VoIP and phone conferencing, meeting recording and it even has a follow-up functionality.
- BigBlueButtonBigBlueButton enables universities and colleges to deliver a high-quality learning experience to remote students.
- Google+ HangoutWould you like to see, hear, and share information to your online learners. With Google+ Hangouts you can have a video group chat for up to 10 people for free! It is a powerful tool much better than a Web Chat.
- ManagemeetManageMeet.com is a online service that enables teams to collaborate on tomorrows solutions in real-time. Share knowledge, collect ideas, analyze and decide.
- Meetin.GsUnlimited meetings with 6 participants/meeting, material exchange, agenda & notes, 5MB size limit per file, and Skype integration.It’s also a great place to edit documents together with a group and anyone can mail-in notes and other materials via email.
- MeetingBurnerHost up to 10 webinar attendees for FREE with no ads - forever! Instantly share your screen with anybody. Works with iPhones, iPads, and Android Phones. You’ll also get analytics for your meetings so that you can see how your guests interact with your content.
- MikogoScreen sharing has never been so easy! Have an online meeting, give a presentation, or provide remote support with Mikogo. Sign up today and see how simple online meetings can be!
- ShowDocumentShowDocument lets you do quick and easy real-time collaboration with others with no software required.
- Sync.inSync.in is a web based word processor for people to collaborate in real-time. When multiple people edit the same document simultaneously, any changes are instantly reflected on everyone's screen. The result is a new and productive way to collaborate with text documents, useful for meeting notes, brainstorming, project planning, training, and more.
- TokBox Video ChatTokBox makes it easy to add video chat to your site using either the OpenTok API or OpenTok Widgets.
- TwiddlaMark up websites, graphics, and photos, or start brainstorming on a blank canvas. Browse the web with your friends or make that conference call more productive than ever. No plug-ins, downloads, or firewall voodoo - it's all here, ready to go when you are. Browser-agnostic, user-friendly.
- VyewVyew allows you to meet and share content in real-time or anytime. Upload images, files, documents and videos into a room. Users can access and contribute at anytime.
- WebHuddleMeetings can be conducted either in conjunction with an enterprise’s existing teleconferencing service, or utilizing WebHuddle’s optional voice over IP.
- YugmaYugma free web conferencing allows anyone, anywhere to instantly share their desktop and ideas online with others. To start hosting your own meetings, sign up today for FREE. Your Yugma Free web conferencing account allows you to invite up to 1 attendees with 30 minutes meeting limitations.
- Zoho MeetingGet started with online meetings, start sharing your desktop to anyone, anywhere at any time.
15 Free Authoring Tools For Teachers
- Easygenerator Easygenerator provides cloud-based eLearning authoring software. Easygenerator enables instructional designers and subject matter experts to rapidly create the most engaging courses that have the highest learning impact. Easygenerator is affordable, easy to use, and future proof. Simply create, design and publish your eLearning courses. Used and loved by 5000+ users in more than 120 countries in both enterprises and universities. Easygenerator’s headquarter is located in Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
- LCDSThe Microsoft Learning Content Development System (LCDS) is a free tool that enables the Microsoft Learning community to create high-quality, interactive, online courses and Microsoft Silverlight Learning Snacks.
- SmartBuilderSmartBuilder is the award-winning course authoring tool that enables you to create rich Flash e-learning with an easy-to-use interface.
- The Multimedia Learning Object Authoring ToolThe Multimedia Learning Object Authoring Tool enables content experts to easily combine video, audio, images and texts into one synchronized learning object.
- authorPOINT authorPOINT is an authoring tool that allows users to capture presentations and add pre-recorded audio/video, all inside of Microsoft PowerPoint. authorGEN also offers authorPOINT Lite, which converts PowerPoint presentations to Flash.
- DipityFrom what we can glean from their website, Dipity is an online timeline creator. Users, known as Dipsters, can create their own content on subjects that are meaningful to them and share them with other users. Dipsters can also integrate social media into their timeline, utilizing real-time updates.
- Document Suite 2008Document Suite 2008 is an authoring tool that helps transform documents into online help modules.
- IzzuiIzzui is a hybrid social learning application that can be linked with QuickLessons. Izzui uses Facebook as an LMS to track and deliver courses. Izzui also has an e-Commerce capability allowing users to charge and pay for courses that they have created.
- JackdawJackdaw produces SCORM 1.2 compliant content that is easily integrated into any LMS. Users can create interactive content either from scratch or with the the help of over 100 templates. Jackdaw also lets users create content that they can then sell on the Open Elms web-store.
- LessonWriterFrom what we can gather from their website, LessonWriter is a tool for teachers that allows them to create lessons from any passage. These courses allow teachers to be creative with their lesson plans and also saves them a great deal of time.
- MOS SoloMOS Solo offers a way for users to create content on the go without having to rely on a constant Internet connection. Even though they are using an offline content creation tool, they do not lose any of the functionality or power to create their multimedia content.
- myUdutuA free online authoring tool with a suite of WSIWYG tools, allowing users to create courses in an approachable environment. Claims to export SCORM 1.2/2004 conformant courses to be used in a 3rd party LMS or integrate into social media sites, such as Facebook.
- QuickLessons Authoring ToolQuickLessons was built from the ground up to be a completely SaaS based content authoring tool, requiring the user to only have access to a web-browser. QuickLessons comes equipped with quizzes, games, characters, out-of-the-box animations and other customizable content to allow users to create truly unique and interactive flash-based content to meet their needs. Users can either use QuickLessons for free, publishing their content only to Facebook, or they can buy an individual, corporate or academic account.
- ScratchFrom what we can gather from their website, Scratch is a creative tool that helps users create content that is beyond the barriers of traditional page-turners. Scratch users can create interactive stories, animation, music, and art, then share their creations on the web.
- xtimelinextimeline is a tool that allows users to create timeline based content for free. Users can also share their timelines with other users, creating a community.
5 Free Annotation Tools For Teachers
- Diigo It’s one of the most commonly used free web annotation tools which lets you bookmark and tag web pages. In addition to that, you would also be able to highlight a part of a webpage if you wish to emphasize something and attach sticky notes to it. Its advanced search allows you to rummage through the text of pages you have bookmarked which includes tags, titles, URLs and even your own comments and highlights. One of the best features of Diigo is your ability to comment on other users’ notes which can be set to either public or private.
- A.nnotate A.nnotate is not just a free annotation tool but also a collaboration and indexing tool. It can be used to catalogue images and other document formats. It also makes it easier for you to work with a group especially when documents are needed to be sent through email back and forth because of comments of different users. With the use of A.nnotate, you can simply create a single read-only copy of your document and share it with whomever you like so you could all comment on it. Another good thing about it is, it is very easy to use and it works fine in commonly used web browsers without you having to install software or plug ins. You may sign up for a free account which gives you credits for annotating 30 items every month, anything above that will require payment.
- Bounce App Bounce app is a very simple free annotation tool that works just as effectively as others in the market. You simply log on to their website, enter the URL of the webpage you’d like to comment on and then click on Grab Screenshot. Voila! You’ll have a screenshot of that webpage and you’re now ready to comment on it by dragging the mouse and creating red boxes (like the one you see below). These red boxes are labelled with another box that contains your name and has a space for your comments. One of the best features of Bounce is that you can share your feedback on either Facebook or Twitter and let your friends see it.
- Crocodoc Crocodoc Personal is a free annotation tool used for commenting on documents. Simply log on to their website, upload a PDF file, Office Doc or image, modify it using Crocodoc tools which allow you to highlight, draw or comment on it. When you’re done, click on Share button at the upper right hand corner of the page and send the link to whomever you’d like to share the document with. You may share it through copying the link and sending it through email or IM, or you may even embed it on your blog or website. However, if you would like to store your files or view your upload history, you have to sign up for a Crocodoc account but you need not worry because this app is absolutely for free.
- Markup.io Markup allows you to draw on any webpage using built in tools. Simply go to their website, drag the icon located at the lower right hand corner of the page to the bookmark bar of your browser.
8 Free Video Tools For Teachers
- Ezvid Ezvid is a 100% free video creation tool that allows you to capture everything that appears on your computer screen. It also allows you to edit your recorded videos by splitting your recordings, inserting text and audio, controlling the speed and even drawing directly on your screen. There’s also a Gaming Mode specially designed for gamers to avoid black screen problems when recording games such as Diablo III and Call of Duty which are full screen games. You can save your edited videos for later use or you may directly upload them on YouTube.
- BlueBerry Flashback Express Recorder This recorder just, like other screencast tools, enables you to capture your screen while recording yourself through a webcam. It introduces quite a long list of features that will let you edit videos like a pro. BB Flashback Express Recorder also has a very easy user interface that allows you to decide what area of your screen you would like to capture and whether to record sound and web activity or not. Another good thing about it is that you can have scheduled recordings so you wouldn’t have to miss online events. It also includes a player which works like a VCR and allows you to review your recording frame-by-frame.
- ScreenrScreenr is a web-based screen recorder. Yes, you read it right. It’s web-based so that means, you wouldn’t have to install it on your computer but it requires Java to run. Screenr allows you to easily capture your screen by logging on to their website, clicking on the record button and keeping it open while you are capturing your screen activity. Keep in mind that you only have a maximum of 5 minutes per recording. Files are saved on the site. When you’re finished, you’ll be given a link that can be easily shared by email or can be embedded on websites. It’s absolutely free, works on both MAC and PC and will work even on your iPhone.
- Rylstim Screen Recorder Rylstim is a very simple and easy to use Screen Recorder which, aside from capturing your screen, also allows you to record events happening on the monitor including right and left clicks. It has a minimalistic and intuitive interface but supports multiple CODECs. You can also customize the video frame rates. Rylstim Screen Recorder works on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows
- Krut Krut is a screencast tool that works in almost any Operating system and requires Java to run. It’s a very simple program with only 3 basic controls: Record, Snap for still pictures, and the Arrow button used to adjust the borders of your recording area. It’s very minimalist without all those complicated features that other screencast tools offer, but it can be powerful too because of some additional features such as timer-controlled recording. You can also use it for recording streaming video and audio.
- CamStudioCamStudio is a pretty straightforward program that lets you record your screen and audio and produce outputs in AVI or SWF format. It enables annotation such as text and call out inserts and even provides you some cursor options such as default, hidden or highlighted, which should be carefully laid out prior to recording. You have some video options too which lets you control compression, frame rates , quality and time lapse but aside from that, you can’t really do much with the video because it doesn’t include editing capabilities.
- Webineria Webineria is an open-source easy-to-use screencast tool which lets you capture your screen activity and do “picture-in-picture” video by adding your webcam stream. It provides you 3 frame rate options: 5, 10 and 15 frames per second and outputs can be produced in either AVI or FLV format. It has built in features too that let you adjust the boundaries of your record area, use hotkeys to pause and resume recording. Outputs are saved on the site and can be shared via email links or embedding on websites.
- Screen-O-MaticScreencast-O-Matic is a screencast tool which has both web-based and desktop versions. It’s very easy to use and will run so long as you have Java installed on your computer. It has free video hosting and allows you to record your screen or both your screen and webcam. You may also publish your output directly to YouTube. The free versions of Screencast-O-Matic has limited features though. For instance, there’s a 15-minute recording time limit, there’s a small watermark when recording, it doesn’t allow webcam-only recording and it doesn’t allow you to zoom and annotate while recording.
6 Free PDF Tools For Teachers
- Adobe Reader XIAdobe Reader is a trusted high quality tool that allows you to view and print your PDF files. It also lets you interact with PDF content, including multimedia. Other features covered are adding and verifying digital signature, annotating on PDF pages, creating and filling out PDF forms, and printing out these documents.
- Doro PDF Writer by CompSoftDoro PDF Writer is very easy to use and is pretty straightforward. It doesn’t have all the other options that other PDF tools have but it works great in printing PDF files. It is installed as a virtual print driver and converts any printable document or image to PDF format. It can be powerful too as it lets you set the author name and even protect it with a password before conversion. Just select it from the program’s setting menu before printing a PDF document and it will launch and provide you the option to change the document’s metadata. On top of those mentioned is the ability to enable and disable copying, pasting and printing functions of the document. It is compatible with XP, Vista, Windows 7 and 8.
- BullZip PDF Printer by BioPDFBullZip is another PDF tool that works as a virtual print driver and uses Ghostscript to convert documents. Like Doro, it also allows you to convert printable document or image to PDF format but on top of that, it also lets you add watermarks, merge PDF files and even add protection to your PDF files. It is free for up to 10 users and offers installation of promotional, third party components. You may check the guidelines here.
- PDFTK Builder